Monday, July 30

Monday's Make-Overs

Catherine from Freddy and Petunia combined this random lion face with a simple dresser turning it into a cohesive work of art! JUST AMAZING! Catherine is certainly talented and we are the benefactors of that wonderful creative mind of hers. Take a peek:

I had a dresser, but I needed a bookcase.

This was the instigating dresser! Something I found many years back and gave to a great niece. When she outgrew it, I traded with her for a bigger dresser. I forgot just how cool this one was but I really didn’t need another dresser! What I needed was A Bookcase! Parts of her were rough and needed repair, especially a back leg. But in making the repairs, I learned how it was originally made, and can recreate parts of the design in some future projects!  Serendipity– !?


I found this decorative “header” in Atlanta. The story was that “they” were moving this grand sideboard/buffet in the back of a pickup on the highway....and didn’t secure it good enough. Yep it fell off, got run over by a bunch of vehicles and was destroyed except for this header piece. And I knew I could do something with it!
This was one good-sized window rosette bought in a ReStore. I bought 2 each of 2 designs thinking they were interesting & “I could do something with them!” They were too wide, but this design had a natural center so I cut it in half. A great size now, with a natural left & right side!

Here’s the carcass. Dresser gutted, repaired, the interior re fitted with old pine boards, and the shelf installed. Hutch top roughed out, header attached. Doors are next, and I’ve made a decision on the hardware!

The back leg now repaired, and the doors finished and installed, with the chosen hardware. The doors are inset with 3/8″ brass chicken wire found in another ReStore for $7.50! I was going to order it from one of my design catalogs, same piece $89. Visit your local ReStores and donate too! I still haven’t decided on the lower back panel.....more tongue & groove boards like the top, a solid wallpapered panel–?

Since the dresser was already painted, and it’s such a big piece, I decided to stick with a “white’ish” color, using Farrow & Ball’s Clunch, and “age” it with an over-glaze. Even with the top shelf missing in the hutch, can’t you just see all the storage potential?! A real workhorse!

I just love this new piece of furniture that Catherine designed. I'm ready to hit a few flea markets and estate sales myself. When ever you find a discarded unloved piece of furniture look past the grimy peeling paint and see it's true potential. What COULD it be? Give it a try.....

....you'll be glad you did.
Don't forget to check out Catherine's Blog.

ENJOY!

the domestic curator ~ ronda


No comments:

Post a Comment